Admin account receives mails after backend changes

Hey folks,

I’m noticing a strange mailing behavior after the recent phabricator mailing changes.
After updating the global config for outbound mailing to sendmail, my main admin account receives all kind of mails. This contains notifications on changed tasks, diffs and so on.

So I removed the account from all projects and disabled the notification. In addition to that, I disabled all the mails in the preferences. But still receiving mails.

I’m using the same mail address as the metamta.default-address so I really don’t want those user specific mail.

Any ideas what I’ve missed?

Does the “Generating Email Addresses” section in this changelog answer your questions, or is the behavior still unclear?

https://secure.phabricator.com/w/changelog/2019.03/

Oh if I understand the changes correct it means there will be mails send to the metamta.default-address whenever there is no data for the to field? - So the mail shouldn’t be bounced /dropped with this new behavior?

Oh if I understand the changes correct it means there will be mails send to the metamta.default-address whenever there is no data for the to field?

Right. Previously, a separate metamta.placeholder-to-recipient configuration option controlled this address, but there was no real reason to have this extra configuration.

So the mail shouldn’t be bounced /dropped with this new behavior?

The default address should accept all mail sent to it and discard it. This was true before, but using a mailbox which has some other behavior may have caused fewer problems.

If the default address bounces mail, outbound mail from Phabricator will frequently bounce (when the address is used as a “To” placeholder) and mail from users will sometimes bounce (if they “Reply All” to mail from Phabricator).

If the default address is a real mailbox, that mailbox will get a lot of random mail from Phabricator (when the address is used as a “To” placeholder) and some random mail from users (if they “Reply All”).

See also https://secure.phabricator.com/D20104.

thanks for the additional docs about this!

So I just removed the meta.default-address and set the metamta.reply-handler-domain.

But wait - Who’s gonna get the system mails now? - like approval queue?

Approval queue emails are sent to all administrators. They have never been sent to metamta.default-address.

I believe there are no other system emails. Phabricator does not use email as a status reporting channel.

Thank you very much for the help! I really appreciate all the time and work you put into :smiley:

closed #8