Allow numeric characters in callsign

Hi. I’d like to suggest following feature.

We are using svn repo for our product (hosted elsewhere, phabricator is only observing it), where we have folder for each version of product. This way, we can fix old versions and add features to new ones.

We would like to create observing repository in diffusion for each version of product, so we can track tasks to correct versions. We don’t want to include whole repo because there is already 100+ versions and 6digit commits count.

Because we have other products too, we would like to use callsigns, but we also need to put the version number in there. I’m thinking, there might be a collision with revision number? So the callsign maybe have to start and also end with letter character?

We would like to use it like this:
for product SoftWareA - callsign would be SWAxxxR
rSWA001R123451
rSWA002R123452
rSWA003R123453

for product SoftWareB - callsign would be SWBxxxR
rSWB001R123454
rSWB002R123455
rSWB003R123456

So, question is … Would it be possible to change the rule for callsigns to contain at least one capital [A-Z] letter on start and on end (if necessary) and then allow numeric characters in the middle? Will it break something? I don’t know how git handles that…
Or would you suggest something else?

Thank you.

Would it be possible to change the rule for callsigns to contain at least one capital [A-Z] letter on start and on end (if necessary) and then allow numeric characters in the middle?

This is technically possible, but likely fairly complicated. See https://secure.phabricator.com/T4245 for some context and discussion.

Will it break something?

As long as there’s a delimiter character, this doesn’t create any name conflicts, but many places in the codebase may need to be updated (offhand: URI matching, remarkup rules, commit object name resolution, the actual edit rules for callsigns).

There’s no customer interest in changing this ruleset so I don’t plan to change it in the upstream, but I don’t believe there’s any good reason that it can’t be changed.