Arc land results in This path was a submodule at rN

Hi all
So I’ve been trying to tidy up some code that wasn’t in git and merge it in. This means I have a medium large diff. I did a recent phabricator update as I was having a few little issues which I later attributed to the version of git on RHEL7 being 1.8 something. I’ve now updated git to 2.31 but in the interim I attempted to land my large diff.

Git log shows the commit, a git diff to the previous commit shows all the relevant changes but within diffusion whenever I visit one of the sections updated I get the message:

This path was a submodule at rNSC1523c4333160.

I got an error attempting to land the diff at the time that I’ve sadly lost, but it was related to trying to run a command that the version of git I had didn’t support.

I’ve since trying to force a re-import of the diff with various versions of bin/repository

bin/repository reparse --importing 1523c4333160059c63c3a874abd4bdf7fa65a992
  bin/repository reparse --trace --importing 1523c4333160059c63c3a874abd4bdf7fa65a992
  bin/repository reparse --trace --change 1523c4333160059c63c3a874abd4bdf7fa65a992
  bin/repository reparse --trace --publish 1523c4333160059c63c3a874abd4bdf7fa65a992
  bin/repository reparse --importing --all rNSC
  bin/repository reparse --importing --trace rNSC1523c4333160

But nothing lands up in Diffusion. There’s no errors or oustanding actions visible in the daemons. And I’m stuck. I COULD just copy it all out and reimport into a new repo but that seems very much like a PITA.

git log doesn’t go back far enough.

Can anyone help me out?

Can someone tell me if I asked a stupid question, or an impossible question? Am I being dumb or am I just screwed? Any feedback is welcomed here.

You’ve asked a question which may be very time-consuming to answer, and phrased it in a way that suggests part of the problem might be an incomplete understanding of Git concepts rather than any issue with Phabricator.

Thanks Evan - the problem may well be in the chair, rather than in the computer. However, every previous arc land has been entirely fine and this one leaves me with a local git repo that seems complete but the web UI version merely has that message above. A search for an understanding of that error message lead me to just one match that was in the phabricator source and was a single dead-end branch of a switch statement. The hosted repo, the UI representation, and my working copy aren’t quite in sync and my multiple attempts to kick it into sync aren’t working and I just wanted someone to nudge me onto the next possible steps.
I’ve followed as much of this as I can
https://secure.phabricator.com/book/phabricator/article/repository_imports/

The diff still exists, but is no different to master.

I’ve never used submodules myself but I understand the arc land process uses them in some way. Is that documented at all?
What I haven’t done is confirm that the upstream (i.e. phabricator/diffusion) is the same as my local version of master… which I may do next.

Everything basically worked fine - then it didn’t. Any guidance is welcomed - I don’t need a total guide, just a point in the right direction.