Configuring a remote repository requires an excessive number of clicks

Observed Behavior:

There used to be an easy workflow to configure a remote (observed) repository - it would ask you in a wizard whether you wanted Phabricator to host the repository or not.

Nowadays, this behavior has been replaced by the much more powerful URI configuration (https://secure.phabricator.com/T10923). However, in order to set this up for a new remotely hosted repository, a remarkable amount of clicks have to be performed:

1. Click on “URIs”. There are three Read/Write URIs, all of which have to be disabled so that a new “Observe” URL can be added.
  2. Click on the first URI.
  3. Click “Edit URI”
  4. Set the new IO type.
  5. Click Save Changes.
  6. Go back to the URI list via the breadcrumbs.
  7. Click on the second URI.
  8. Click “Edit URI”
  9. Set the new IO type.
  10. Set Display to “Hidden”.
  11. Click Save Changes.
  12. Go back to the URI list via the breadcrumbs.
  13. Click on the third URI.
  14. Click “Edit URI”
  15. Set the new IO type.
  16. Click Save Changes.
  17. Go back to the URI list via the breadcrumbs.
  18. Add a new URI.
  19. Set the URI.
  20. Set the IO type.
  21. Set the display type.
  22. Click Save Changes.

Though exhausting, I have gotten used to this. My colleagues, however, are new at using Phabricator and have not - they keep complaining about the number of clicks it takes to pull off this simple task, so I’m reporting this as a UX issue :slight_smile:

Related discussion:

https://secure.phabricator.com/T6722

Expected Behavior:

A shortcut during repository creation which offers a “I want to observe a remote repository and configure URIs myself” choice, which will create all default URIs as “No I/O” and “Hidden”.

Alternatively, a “repository template” mechanism that would also take care of other repeated repository creation steps like setting the staging area and tracked branches, though this crosses even deeper into feature request territory…

Phabricator Version:

Latest stable (e6331ca8efc1f60e38f9ca13dc292f9bb00ea104)