Duo integration crashes if user is not enrolled and enrollment is disabled

Observed Behavior:
I just upgraded to 2019 Week 4 and set up Duo and attempted to add it to my personal account (alongside my existing TOTP config) and got the following traceback:

[2019-01-29 18:48:39] EXCEPTION: (DomainException) Attempting to iterate an object (of class PhabricatorAuthFactorResult) which is not iterable. at [<phutil>/src/object/Phobject.php:57]
 arcanist(), phabricator(custom=5), phutil()
   #0 <#2> Phobject::throwOnAttemptedIteration() called at [<phutil>/src/object/Phobject.php:49]
   #1 <#2> Phobject::rewind() called at [<phabricator>/src/applications/auth/factor/PhabricatorAuthFactor.php:411]
   #2 <#2> PhabricatorAuthFactor::loadMFASyncToken(PhabricatorAuthFactorProvider, AphrontRequest, AphrontFormView, PhabricatorUser) called at [<phabricator>/src/applications/auth/factor/PhabricatorDuoAuthFactor.php:159]
   #3 <#2> PhabricatorDuoAuthFactor::processAddFactorForm(PhabricatorAuthFactorProvider, AphrontFormView, AphrontRequest, PhabricatorUser) called at [<phabricator>/src/applications/auth/storage/PhabricatorAuthFactorProvider.php:93]
   #4 <#2> PhabricatorAuthFactorProvider::processAddFactorForm(AphrontFormView, AphrontRequest, PhabricatorUser) called at [<phabricator>/src/applications/settings/panel/PhabricatorMultiFactorSettingsPanel.php:294]
   #5 <#2> PhabricatorMultiFactorSettingsPanel::processNew(AphrontRequest) called at [<phabricator>/src/applications/settings/panel/PhabricatorMultiFactorSettingsPanel.php:39]
   #6 <#2> PhabricatorMultiFactorSettingsPanel::processRequest(AphrontRequest) called at [<phabricator>/src/applications/settings/controller/PhabricatorSettingsMainController.php:107]
   #7 <#2> PhabricatorSettingsMainController::handleRequest(AphrontRequest) called at [<phabricator>/src/aphront/configuration/AphrontApplicationConfiguration.php:258]
   #8 phlog(DomainException) called at [<phabricator>/src/aphront/handler/PhabricatorDefaultRequestExceptionHandler.php:41]
   #9 PhabricatorDefaultRequestExceptionHandler::handleRequestThrowable(AphrontRequest, DomainException) called at [<phabricator>/src/aphront/configuration/AphrontApplicationConfiguration.php:670]
   #10 AphrontApplicationConfiguration::handleThrowable(DomainException) called at [<phabricator>/src/aphront/configuration/AphrontApplicationConfiguration.php:263]
   #11 AphrontApplicationConfiguration::processRequest(AphrontRequest, PhutilDeferredLog, AphrontPHPHTTPSink, MultimeterControl) called at [<phabricator>/src/aphront/configuration/AphrontApplicationConfiguration.php:181]
   #12 AphrontApplicationConfiguration::runHTTPRequest(AphrontPHPHTTPSink) called at [<phabricator>/webroot/index.php:17]

It works fine after I enroll my user in Duo.

Expected Behavior:
Not crashing

Phabricator Version:
Phabricator version: internal fork most recently merged with 6bca2e077330af12a5551d4eda63a6e239d89e9f
libphutil version: 9144fc5a68966087477874babce11d3bf2cf8f0b

Reproduction Steps:

1. Set up Duo integration with enrollment disabled from the Phabricator side
  2. Attempt to add it to a user who does not have a Duo account
  3. Get the above crash

I think this happens if Duo sends back a response other than “auth”, “allow”, or “enroll” (assuming the method works as documented, this response should always be “deny”). There’s a bug in how we handle “deny” responses.

I’m not immediately sure how to make Duo return “deny” responses when accounts are not enrolled – locally, I always get “enroll” back. Do you have any idea what switches you might have flipped on the Duo side to make it give you “deny”?

I can probably enroll and then go into Duo and explicitly add the user to a deny list to hit this case (maybe?) but that doesn’t sound like what you did.

So, I think the thing here is that duo said the user needs to be enrolled but I turned off the checkbox to allow enrollment on the Phabricator side in the MFA settings page.

If I do that, I get this state instead:

44_PM

I can reproduce a state similar to the one you describe by explicitly setting the user to “Deny” on the Duo side, but I don’t know how to get to that state without actually denying them.

In any case, https://secure.phabricator.com/D20065 almost certainly fixes the bug (and may report a more useful error), although I’m not entirely sure I’ve reproduced exactly what you hit or exercised every pathway here.

Thanks for looking into it so quickly. I’ll test that once it hits stable.