Git Commits Showing in Project

I read that if a git commit has a comment that matches a project’s hashtag then it will show up in the project’s feed. But I have tried the hastag with and without the hash and I do not see the git commits in the project. Is there something I have to configure? Thank you.

Does the project name shows up like this in the commit page?

Without a link to a sample commit page I don’t know what you mean by “commit page” but if I click on the link that says “8 commits” I see my history page. The project name does not show up on that page anywhere. It also does not show up on the page that I get to when I click “Browse Commits”.

Is there something I should do to make the project show up on one of those pages?

If you go to your project’s Manage page (Projects -> project name -> Manage), you’ll see an entry marked “Hashtags”:
If you include this hashtag in a commit message, the commit will be linked to the project, and the hashtag will be replaced by the fancy “Like Like” rendering where the commit message is rendered.

I think that what you are saying is exactly what I said I already did?

I found that hashtag where you said. I added a commit with the tag without the hash, and then another with the tag and the hash. Neither of these show up in the project feed.

Then either your daemons are not running, or you mis-understood something about what should show up where.
I’m still not sure what you do and what you expect to happen. See here for instructions on how to ask support questions that get good answers.

The daemons are running but it’s possible that I misunderstood what should show up where. So what exactly should show up exactly where? To be more specific I am asking where in a project’s informational screens should I expect to see git commits where these commits have the project’s hashtag?

Steps to Reproduce:

• Verify that daemon is running.

• Create a Project

• Create a Sub-Project of that Project

• Note the hashtags for each

• Create a Diffusion Repository

• Make 4 commits (git commit -m ‘#hashtag’) to this Repository as follows:
    – one with the Project hashtag
    – one with the Project #hashtag
    – one with the Sub-Project hashtag
    – one with the Sub-Project #hashtag

• Check the Project and Sub-Project feeds (for example: 'https://phab.url.com/project/profile/7/) and see that none of your commits appear on this page.

I’m not sure the commits are actually supposed to show up there, but if they do, they will show up under the “Recent Activity” central panel in the page you linked.

I’m not sure the commits are actually supposed to show up there,

And can you tell me where they are supposed to show up?

Commits are shown in the repository history page, and in the general system feed in the home page. If they mention any task or other object, they will also show up in the object’s transaction (comments) page.

they will also show up in the object’s transaction (comments) page

What does this term refer to? Specifically regarding a project. Please explain how to click to a project’s “object’s transaction (comments) page”.

In a project, that would be in the Manage page. (Click Manage in the left-side menu in the page you linked to earlier).

Okay two things:

1. My commits are not showing up on the Manage page that you pointed me to.

2. Most users do not have access to Manager the project but they need to see each commit as it comes in. The only reason we went with Phabricator (which now seems like a poor choice) was because it seemed to have this feature. Was I wrong that non-priv users of a project can see all commits that have that projects hashtag on the project’s feed/status/main page?

My commits are not showing up on the Manage page that you pointed me to.

Then they don’t; I assumed all objects support this feature, but apparently Projects do not. I never looked into this feature.

Most users do not have access to Manager…

I’m pretty sure all users have access to see the Manage page of every Project they can see.

…users of a project can see all commits that have that projects hashtag on the project’s feed/status/main page

I guess that page doesn’t list the information you’re looking for.

Maybe if you explain what you’re trying to achieve, I can find a way to help you achieve it.

Maybe if you explain what you’re trying to achieve, I can find a way to help you achieve it.

Okay let’s try that. What I want is to be able to associate a repo with a project such that every time there is a commit to the repo, it shows up in the default feed for that project.

According to this page all commits that include a project’s hashtag will show up in that project’s feed: https://secure.phabricator.com/T6973 (Specifically please see the comment from Jan 15 2015, 4:36 PM).

That would not be ideal but I can live with it. However that is not happening in the way described on the link I sent. That is is why I opened this question.

From that ticket, you can use herald to associate a commit with a project, depending on which repository it’s in (See https://secure.phabricator.com/T6973#108614).
This should make it show on the Project feed page as “User committed Commit Message”, I think.

You are changing the subject. The user who posted that did not already use Herald to set this up but it was working for him in that commits that have the hashtag of a project show up in the project’s feed.

But that does not work here. My question is why and what I must configure to change that.

You are suggesting using some other tool. You didn’t tell me what it is (I have not heard of Herald), you didn’t say how it works, and you can’t confirm that it will accomplish the goal. Also the thread I sent you says NOT to use Herald for a different solution because the thing I am trying to achieve is supposed to be built-in.

Are you actually trying to help or do you just feel good when you reply? Because you have jumped in to several questions that I wrote and typed lots of words but so far you have not actually answered more than one of them.

Again from that link:

Correct. If I specify a project hashtag, then a commit shows in the
project’s feed.

The author wants a better solution. I will be satisfied if this half-solution actually worked. If you know how to fix it, please respond. If you do not then please don’t respond.

I’m sorry, I can’t help you. The system doesn’t do what you think it does. If that behavior ever existed, it appears not to exist now. There’s no configuration for anything like this.

You can read about Herald, and other features, here: https://secure.phabricator.com/book/phabricator/

I jumped into a lot of your posts, and tried to answer, but your questions are very vogue and I can’t understand most of them. You also don’t read all the words I write, which makes it even harder to to provide an answer you’ll like.

So it does not do what several people on this thread confirm that it does? https://secure.phabricator.com/T6973 That is sad. I was hoping that Phabricator was under active development.

You can read about Herald, and other features, here:

Yes I can. But why would I? And you must know that those docs are unusuable (mostly).