Got nonsensical error when trying to disable a query from menu


Reproduction Instructions

OBVIOUSLY I’m not sure you’ll be able to reproduce by just following these steps. However this is what I did, on a recent install of Phabricator where I created a few projects, a few repositories, one single user (the admin, i.e. me) and little more.

  • I went to Maniphest->Open Tasks
  • I clicked on “Edit query” on the top-right
  • I added a tag to the query
  • I clicked Search
  • I clicked Save Query and saved the query with a name

I did this because I wanted to try using the query later in some places, like as a menu item in a project or something like that (I’m still trying to get familiar with Phabricator)

As a result of this, for some reason, this saved query became the default one that would open whenever I went to Maniphest: that is, I would click on Maniphest in the main menu and this would systematically lead to the page with the results for this newly created and saved query. That is stupid and it’s a bug in itself, but it’s not the bug I’m reporting here. Hear me on.

  • To correct this, I went to Maniphest -> Edit Queries
  • Here I found that I can edit the list of queries that show up in the left panel of the screen when I go to Maniphest; so, besides changing the default, I thought I would also reorder them and disable the ones that I don’t use
  • So, I set the “Open Tasks” query as default (instead of the one I created earlier that had become the default for no reason)
  • Then I click on the “x” to disable the “Authored” query. Note: I tried to disable the “Authored” query. I don’t even know what that query is but if it has an “x” button to disable it I assume I can disable it. I know it has no relation whatsoever with the other query that I created before that I told you about, but I don’t know if the issue would reproduce if I didn’t do that before, even though apparently unrelated.

Here’s where I clicked:
(oh this is fucking stupid, “new users can only put one image in a post”. Well hopefully this is not so necessary; if my report is less clear because of this, blame this idiotic limitation, not me)

And this is the error I got:

Phabricator/Arcanist Version
Output from Config > Version Information or arc version.
phabricator

09d86c2d2031f171968395d7f91c34fb428781a1 (Mon, Sep 23)

arcanist

3cdfe1fff806d2b54a2df631cf90193e518f42b7 (Thu, Sep 5)

phutil

f51f1b3f72b50246949d0917239ca84f39ec7a54 (Mon, Sep 2)

php

7.2.8-1+0~20180725113345.2+jessie~1.gbp571e56

diff

3.3 at /usr/bin/diff

git

2.1.4 at /usr/bin/git

hg

3.1.2 at /usr/bin/hg

pygmentize

2.0.1 at /usr/bin/pygmentize

svn

Not Available

A couple of things that I hate about this forum which are really stupid:

  • Using a forum as a tool for reporting bugs. Come on!

  • Applying the “typical” limitations (already quite questionable by themselves for any kind of forum), which are designed to avoid spam or whatever, to the forum that you decided to use for having users report bugs.

Users reporting bugs are CONTRIBUTING; you should try to make their life easier, not more miserable.

Now I was going to report another bug I found and I get this (I’m writing it by memory as I accidentally lost the copied text):

“You have reached the maximum number of topics a user can start in a day. Wait for 22 hours or something”.
Pathetic.

this is fucking stupid
A couple of things that I hate about this forum which are really stupid:
Pathetic.
Users reporting bugs are CONTRIBUTING; you should try to make their life easier, not more miserable.

This kind of feedback isn’t a positive contribution and isn’t welcome in this project.