Help: cannot disable auth.require-approval : administrator locked out

apologies, I’m sure this has come up before but I’ve found no online or documented answer to this that works …
I’ve just newly installed phabricator on ubuntu-20.04 and configured it to the point where my (only) administrative user could login. I resolved all configuration warnings and I’ve successfully received outbound emails sent by phabricator.
I enabled the username/password authentication provider. I set a bunch of preferences and was about to clone a repo. Up until that point I was delighted at the intstallation/configuration experience. But then something happened (??) and my administrative user could no longer login… it said password or username incorrect.

I tried ./bin/auth recover and I received the email with the recover link, but at the login screen I got “Your account has been created, but needs to be approved by an administrator. You’ll receive an email once your account is approved.”
I set ./bin/config set auth.require-approval false and rebooted the host, and I verified that ./bin/config get auth.require-approval does indeed show false, yet I still can’t get past the “wait for approval” blocker.

I tried self-registering a new administrative user and assigning it administrator privileges via the
./bin/user empower utility,
but this user also has login blocked by “Your account has been created, but needs to be approved by an administrator. You’ll receive an email once your account is approved.” I now have two administrative users enabled and empowered but whose logins are blocked waiting for an administrative user to unblock them.

Luckily I DO have root access to the mySQL database. Is there any way I can get either of these administrative users unblocked via a CLI utility or via SQL statement?

At this point the only other thing I can think of is a complete reinstall.

Thanks,
Dean

Try:

mysql> UPDATE phabricator_user.user SET isApproved = 1;

thanks. Worked perfectly.

cheers.

I filed a followup upstream, as https://secure.phabricator.com/T13578.