How to add welcome message to home page

When users log in to our Phabricator instance, we have the default home page, which has the following panels:

Assigned Tasks            Recent Activity
Active Respositories

I want to add a welcome message to explain the project and help with orientation, but I can’t find out how to do this. I basically want to have:

Welcome Message           Recent Activity
Assigned Tasks
Active Respositories

I’ve looked in the ‘Dashboards’ module, but there is nothing there to edit, and if I create a new dashboard I can’t see how to add in the panels that are already present on the home page. I also don’t see how I can use a custom dashboard as the home page (if that is how you do this).

How do I do this simple thing? I would have hoped I could just edit the homepage and add a new panel to it, but if this is possible, it is non-obvious.

In the Dashboards application:

• Create a new Dashboard.
  • Use “Create Panel” to add one “Text Panel” with the welcome message and three “Query” panels with “Assigned Tasks”, “Active Repositories”, and “Recent Activity”.
  • Use “Add Dashboard to Menu” to add the dashboard to “Add to Home Page Menu”.

On the Home Page:

• Edit Menu
  • Global Menu Items
  • Drag the dashboard you added so it is the first item in the list, and/or disable the builtin “Home” menu item.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I’ve created a dashboard and added a text panel. When I try to add a query panel, I don’t see any of the options you mention. What are the settings I need to use to recreate these panels?

And still, I am having problem choosing any query for query panel.
chrome_2ZVqASUbMo

Whatever you choose to Search For, there is no query listed. Two errors appear in console on page load:

Then, without query chosen, panel shows error: Exception: Query "" is unknown to application search engine "DifferentialRevisionSearchEngine"!

Hi,

Also seeing the same thing as HappyDog’s last message:

“I’ve created a dashboard and added a text panel. When I try to add a query panel, I don’t see any of the options you mention. What are the settings I need to use to recreate these panels?”

In other words - when you go to add Query Panel, the option for adding “Recent Activity” or “Assigned Tasks” isn’t in the list.

…or is it?

1 Like

“Recent Activity” Panel: Search For “Feed Stories”, Query “All Stories”
“Assigned Tasks” Panel: Search For “Maniphest Tasks”, Query “Assigned”
“Active Repositories” Panel: Search for “Repositories”, Query “Active Repositories”

got it. Thanks!!

I did some playing and managed to get it working. Note that I also had to set a limit on the feed stories otherwise the panel was very, very long. The default panel has a limit of 40, I think.

Is there a reason why the dashboards that ship with Phabricator can’t simply be edited directly? Or at least duplicated and edited? Is there a way of making a feature request for this?

2 Likes