Internationalization of Phabricator

I know there is a task at Wikimedia about this, but it is marked as very low priority. Would upstream Phabricator be interested in internationalization itself? I’m sure if set up, there would be a lot of volunteers who could help translating Phabricator, and I think there is a number of users who would benefit from languages other than English being available on Phabricator.

You can already translate Phabricator, and community members share these translations on https://secure.phabricator.com/w/community_resources/

We have no short term plans on shipping first party translations, there is not much interest.

Is there a specific Phabricator extension that would be recommended and that can enable multiple languages on a Phabricator instance?

Your admin should know how to do this.

How are these files used? Where can I find an admin manual that explains in a few sentences how to add a language file? There is too much noise about “phabricator translation” on the internet, but no authoritative source. I am directed to extremely lengthy discussions about wikimedia issues and translatewiki stuff - but I just quickly want to add a translation file to phabricator, not translate wikimedia softwares.

Also this important link
https://secure.phabricator.com/book/phabcontrib/article/internationalization/
does not exist anymore what makes it a bit problematic to find good information.

Could anybody please write up a small howto?

BTW it would be great if I could just add a new issue to the phabricator issue tracker, but I can not even register on that site. I would write:

Please make Phabricator automatically recognize translation files without any user intervention needed and without having to patch some files. Please let users just add their translations to a directory and then the translation should be there.

On my first few days with phabricator I was quite impressed, everything looks really good - but the I18N story is abysmal - however for experienced phab admins and devs this dark corner must be easily fixable - please do it, would be very appreciated! Thanks!

The link works again now. There’s some bug and it sometimes goes away.

Ah, thanks for the hint.

BTW: I would like to add another feature request - I feel a little bit stupid to say that I could not find a public bug tracker for this open source bug tracker project on the internet, maybe I was too tired, I do not understand that situation but have no time budget to investigate, so I add it here to remember it in the future:

Please deliver I18N files for at least the top 20 languages spoken in the world - make it possible for users to select one of them for the UI and also let admins select a default language for the current instance. The world is big and colorful, we like that!