Phabricator, debugging external smtp

So trying to set up outbound smtp for the sparkpost provider and I have several questions.

So firstly I can confirm that I can send send email via the smtp relay on the host phabricator is set up via this snippet in python3:

>>> import smtplib
>>> import email.mime.multipart
>>> msg = email.mime.multipart.MIMEMultipart()
>>> msg['from'] ='no-reply@domain.io'
>>> msg['subject'] = 'hello there, this is a test.'
>>> msg['to'] ='nhendrickson@domain.io'
>>> msg.add_header('x-mailer','test app in python for mail')
>>> msg.add_header('reply-to','no-reply@domain.io')
>>> server = smtplib.SMTP('smtp.sparkpostmail.com',587)
>>> server.set_debuglevel(True)
>>> server.login("SMTP_Injection","api_key_here")
>>> server.sendmail(msg['from'],msg['to'],msg.as_string())

This sucessfully sends to my email account using the authenticated domain and that external smtp relay.

However I run into issues with sending via this relay and phabricator.
I ran the following commands to set up:
sudo /opt/phabricator/bin/config set metamta.default-address no-reply@domain.io
sudo /opt/phabricator/bin/config set cluster.mailers --stdin < /opt/phabricator/conf/local/smtp-sparkpost.json
Where smtp-sparkpost.json contains the following:

[
  {
    "key": "sparkpost-mail",
    "type": "smtp",
    "options": {
      "host": "smtp.sparkpostmail.com",
      "port": 587,
      "user": "SMTP_Injection",
      "password": "api_key_here",
      "protocol": "tls"
    }
  }
]

Now I run into two errors here,
if I remove “protocol”: “tls” from the above I get the error: [2019-08-07 14:56:45] EXCEPTION: (phpmailerException) SMTP Error: Data not accepted. at [<phabricator>/externals/phpmailer/class.phpmailer.php:741] arcanist(head=stable, ref.master=d1db9a72b552, ref.stable=bbbd1502f078), phabricator(head=stable, ref.master=3cf6f746f055, ref.stable=d9b41d3a0f87), phutil(head=stable, ref.master=9d85dfab0f53, ref.stable=0d206344cfd3)

Which makes me think there are headers missing perhaps.

However if “protocol”: “tls” is in the above config and loaded, when I try to send a test email I get the new error: [2019-08-07 14:58:11] EXCEPTION: (phpmailerException) Language string failed to load: tls at [<phabricator>/externals/phpmailer/class.phpmailer.php:788] arcanist(head=stable, ref.master=d1db9a72b552, ref.stable=bbbd1502f078), phabricator(head=stable, ref.master=3cf6f746f055, ref.stable=d9b41d3a0f87), phutil(head=stable, ref.master=9d85dfab0f53, ref.stable=0d206344cfd3)

So while tls/ssl certs are loaded in my python snippet, they are not it seems loaded by phabricator. So if there are debug options I could turn on or any guidance that could be given that would be helpful.