(phpmailerException) SMTP Error: The following recipients failed:

Hello,

I keep getting “(phpmailerException) SMTP Error: The following recipients failed:XXX@gmail.com” errors when attempting to use ./bin/mail send-test and emails in general queue infinitely.

I have read that this particular error can be due to invalid email addresses, but I can attest to the fact that the two I have tried (from different providers) are valid and active email addresses (I just used one to confirm my account here).

I am running centos 7 and used ./bin/config set cluster.mailers --stdin < mailers.json to apply the settings.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Summary

./bin/mail send-test --to “XXX@gmail.com” --subject “This is a test” < test.txt
Reading message body from stdin…
[2019-11-19 23:06:16] EXCEPTION: (phpmailerException) SMTP Error: The following recipients failed: XXX@gmail.com at [/externals/phpmailer/class.phpmailer.php:738]
arcanist(head=master, ref.master=cc1ff38843c4), phabricator(head=master, ref.master=e86aae99de0b), phutil(head=master, ref.master=39ed96cd818a)
#0 PHPMailer::SmtpSend(string, string) called at [/externals/phpmailer/class.phpmailer.php:576]
#1 PHPMailer::Send() called at [/src/applications/metamta/adapter/PhabricatorMailSMTPAdapter.php:155]
#2 PhabricatorMailSMTPAdapter::sendMessage(PhabricatorMailEmailMessage) called at [/src/applications/metamta/storage/PhabricatorMetaMTAMail.php:750]
#3 PhabricatorMetaMTAMail::sendWithMailers(array) called at [/src/applications/metamta/storage/PhabricatorMetaMTAMail.php:555]
#4 PhabricatorMetaMTAMail::sendNow() called at [/src/applications/metamta/PhabricatorMetaMTAWorker.php:22]
#5 PhabricatorMetaMTAWorker::doWork() called at [/src/infrastructure/daemon/workers/PhabricatorWorker.php:124]
#6 PhabricatorWorker::executeTask() called at [/src/infrastructure/daemon/workers/PhabricatorWorker.php:163]
#7 PhabricatorWorker::scheduleTask(string, integer, array) called at [/src/applications/metamta/storage/PhabricatorMetaMTAMail.php:525]
#8 PhabricatorMetaMTAMail::save() called at [/src/applications/metamta/management/PhabricatorMailManagementSendTestWorkflow.php:228]
#9 PhabricatorMailManagementSendTestWorkflow::execute(PhutilArgumentParser) called at [/src/parser/argument/PhutilArgumentParser.php:457]
#10 PhutilArgumentParser::parseWorkflowsFull(array) called at [/src/parser/argument/PhutilArgumentParser.php:349]
#11 PhutilArgumentParser::parseWorkflows(array) called at [/scripts/mail/manage_mail.php:21]