Remembering what is in the patch when writing the update

Some large open source projects like LLVM use Phabricator

Their guidance on submitting patches is to upload a diff, (although I’m sure its possible for people to use arc), But this is about the uploading a diff experience…which may not be widely used.

Getting something submitted to LLVM can be a fairly long process, you can expect to go around several times, submitting new diffs to existing revisions… all of this works excellently…

There is just one thing that gets me every time…I wanted to share it in case its something that can be configured/added

So you have a revision out there…and its been reviewed, and you have to make some changes, you go back to the code and make the edits you need to…and make a new diff to upload

My first point, it always seems odd that I have to go to create a “Create Diff” to make the diff rather than going to the Revision and being able to upload the diff without going through the “Attach To” next stage… its not a big thing but it feels separated, as if I’m starting again and doesn’t feel like its part of the same revision…

After creating the diff, we get to the point where we can see this diff file contents nicely (all great) and we have to “Attach To” a revision

If you had a lot of revisions in play…the “Attach To” combo could get large, but more its a case of i feel at this point I have to go super careful not to accidentally pick the wrong Revision. Again it feels like I should be at the revision and saying “Create New Diff for this Revision”

Ok, even that isn’t my main point…its what happens when I select the revision and hit continue…

I get this screen:

This is ok, but now I want to add into the “Comment” what is in the patch… and I simply can’t remember everything…I end up going back to my diff file on disk and trawling through it…(which is not as nice as looking at it in your syntax highlighted form from the previous screen)

My request is is it possible for the contents of the patch as seen in the previous screen to also be added below this “Update Revision”?

That way I could look at the contents of the patch just to double check that I’ve commented on all my changes before hitting “Save Changes”

Just a thought, from someone using the “Diff” loading approach, (which as I recognize is probably NOT the mainstream way of doing it)

I’ve also realized, if the diffcontents was on this screen, and you had a “Create New Diff for this revision”, you could go from the Create Diff->UploadDiff->Update Revision and complete skip the “Attach To” form.

Many thanks for reading this far, just a thought.

MyDeveloperDay

My first point, it always seems odd that I have to go to create a “Create Diff” to make the diff rather than going to the Revision and being able to upload the diff without going through the “Attach To” next stage…
Again it feels like I should be at the revision and saying “Create New Diff for this Revision”

That point when you realize, you use a tool so much you just don’t notice all the other good stuff it already has!

Thank you