Unable to use empty comment to add subscriber if previously removed

IMPORTANT

• Bug reports MUST include reproduction instructions which allow someone who does not have access to your environment to reproduce the issue you’re encountering.
  • Bug reports MUST be against a recent version of Phabricator, and include version information. You can find version information in “Config > Version Information” in the web UI, or arc version from the CLI.

Reproduction Instructions
Complete steps which allow someone else who does not have access to your environment to reproduce the bug.
When susbscribing to most tasks, to make it quicker than editing, I use the submit comment box but without typing / changing anything. This warns me my comment won’t be posted but asks me if I want to apply remaining actions. If I click yes, I am subscribed.

But if I’ve been previously subscribed and removed (commonly when someone created a task via the subtask form and kept subscribers then someone cleared the list down), it simply tells me I cant add an empty comment. This behaviour should in my opinion be consistent.

Phabricator/Arcanist Version
Output from Config > Version Information or arc version.

I pinged an admin to add version info. It’s from WMF phab.

Phabricator Version Information
I don’t think this is going to be very helpful since we have fairly significant amount of changes in our forked version of the code. Nonetheless, here you go:

Library Version Date Branchpoint
phabricator 2d0f05fe0331 Thu, Mar 25
arcanist a6c4877a6e8f Mar 3 2021
wmf-ext-misc fa651d09d360 Wed, Mar 24
translations 14672877ff1b Wed, Mar 24

And isn’t this intended behavior, anyway?

Yes, it’s intentional that commenting doesn’t re-subscribe you if you’ve already unsubscribed explicitly, so I don’t think there’s anything inconsistent here.

I can understand if I’d unsubscribed explicitly but it also happens when other people remove you.

That’s also intentional. If someone has explicitly removed a subscriber (whether it was the user themselves or some other user), Phabricator stops implicitly adding them as a subscriber when they comment.

Also, if all you want is to subscribe to the task, isn’t it easier to click “+subscribe” in the menu?

I do a lot from mobile and after reading a task that requires scrolling back up to the top.